Become a Police Officer
Do you want to do something worthwhile? Are you looking for a career that provides new and challenging situations daily? The Cheraw Police Department is the place for hard-working men and women who thrive on challenges. There is no doubt that this can be a tough and unpredictable job, but it is also the most rewarding career you will ever have. Every day when you put on your uniform, you will go to work making life safer and more secure for your friends and neighbors.
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a United States citizen
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Have or be able to obtain a valid South Carolina driver's license
- Have not had a driver's license suspension during the last 5 years for DUI; leaving the scene of an accident; reckless homicide or involuntary manslaughter
- Have never been convicted of a felony or Criminal Domestic Violence
- Have never been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude or a misdemeanor carrying a possible sentence of more than 1 year
Once employed as a police officer, you will attend the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy in Columbia for 12 weeks. Certified officers from other states and military police may qualify for a six-week focus on the legal portion of the academy or a challenge test. The Cheraw Police Department's Field Training Program is 600 hours (may be abbreviated for prior experience) and the probationary period is one year.