Become a Detention Officer
We’re happy to welcome new detention officers to the team at the Cheraw Jail, working in coordination with the Cheraw PD. Detention Officer applications are accepted both online and in-person in our office at 258 2nd Street, Cheraw, SC 29520. Follow the links at the bottom of this page to submit an application/print a PDF.
In order to be eligible to become an officer, all applicants, regardless of previous experience, must meet the following:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Have or be able to obtain a valid driver's license.
- Have not had a driver's license suspension during the last 5 years for DUI; leaving the scene of an accident; reckless homicide or involuntary manslaughter.
- Have never been convicted of a felony or Criminal Domestic Violence.
- Have never been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude or a misdemeanor carrying a possible sentence of more than 1 year.
Applicants who are not already certified Detention Officers in the state of South Carolina, including those transferring in from out of state, will be required to complete 3 weeks of training within one year of hire at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy. Following successful completion, candidates will be eligible for certification. All Detention Officers are expected to keep their certification current with 40 hours of jail training each year.
Anyone with questions regarding the application process or becoming a Detention Officer with the Cheraw PD can contact the office at